Sunday, August 2, 2009

Martin's Cove Pioneer Trek

Well, after a 4 day adventure, Andrew is home safe and sound. He was gone with our stake to Wyoming's to have a genuine pioneer experience. Well, as genuine as it gets.
We filled a bucket with everything he would need for the 4 days and EVEN kept it under the allowed weight of 17lbs. Okay so it was a little bit of a struggle because what teenager wants to leave his comfortable home and go walk 27 miles with a handcart???
But after much persuasion Andrew was dressed in pioneer clothing and removed of all electronic devices and contacts (which may have been the hardest part for him!)
The hardest part for me was knowing he was driving on a bus for 11 hours (one way) far from home. But I knew that he had great leaders watching over him and that he would have a super experience. Of course, he IS a teenage boy, so, I may not ever actually hear about the experience without prying it out of him! Question, by grueling question.
So if you happen to talk to Andrew, ASK him some questions and maybe we can all compare notes. For example, in Testimony meeting today the people who went on the Trek talked about the women's climb. I can only piece together what that is, but if I try really hard I may get the memories of the experience out of him.
He didn't even fill out the journal they gave him. How is he ever going to remember stuff if he doesn't write it down??? I never remember anything until Cyndie reminds me of it. Seriously, I totally blanked Emily's perpetual bruise on her forehead until she reminded me.
If his memory is anything like mine he will regret not having recorded everything when he had the chance. Someday, when his kids are about to go on a trek, he'll be like "ya I did that.... " THE END because he won't remember anything else, except that he did it once.
P.S. The pictures are not actual pics from his trek.
I don't have those yet, but as soon as I have them you can be SURE I will post them.


No comments: